Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Mustache Thinking With Sef Sam Holy

I’m really excited for the NBA to start and even more excited to see what Bulls roster we see on Christmas day against the Lakers.  My NBA enjoyment involves player movement discussion and hypothetical trade situations.  I’m not Bill Simmons on the ESPN Trade Machine, I just like to bounce my ideas around in discussions/emails/blog posts.  The NBA may not be the best sport to watch on TV, but it’s the best sport to talk about with other people that love the NBA. 

I don’t have the sports bandwidth to pay attention to everything sports related.  I have a wife that I love, and love to hang out with, so I don’t make her suffer and keep sports on my TV 24/7.  With that being said, I have to consciously not pay attention to certain sports.  One of those sports is college basketball.  Don’t hear me wrong, I love Championship Week and big Saturday games during January and February.  I love filling out a bracket and watching as much March Madness as I can, but I don’t watch college hoops at this point in the year.  However, I did DVR the Kentucky Indiana game from this past weekend and it was unreal.  I don’t have a breakdown of it for you, but it really got me excited for when I do start watching college basketball.  I really want to catch a game in Indiana one day, let’s put that on my sports bucket list.

I saw the ESPN 30 for 30 on The U last night and it made me hate Miami even more than I do now. 

If Florida State loses to Notre Dame on December 29th, I’m going to start thinking Jimbo Fisher is a Ron Zook/Dabo Sweeney type of college football coach.  He’s shown to be a great recruiter, but he doesn’t know how to win football games.  I really, really hope the Noles beat the Irish so I don’t have to think about something like this going into a year in which the Seminoles will bring back almost every one of their starters/players that contribute, and should be ranked in the top 10 to start the year.  There is no easier path to the BCS National Championship game than Florida State’s schedule next year and with the talent they will have on their roster, I expect Fisher to get there. 

Am I the only Bears fan that is rooting for them to lose out so that they get the best pick possible in the NFL Draft this April?  The only difference between finishing 9-7 and 7-9 is 8 draft spots.  Here’s my abbreviated “if I was the Bears GM” plan I have.  Finish 7-9, get the 12th pick in the draft.  Let Matt Forte walk, save the $40mil against the cap, and get the compensatory 2nd round pick.  Trade Devin Hester to whatever team is willing to give you a 3rd round pick for him.  With my 5 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft, I take Michael Floyd first and with the rest of those picks, draft an offensive lineman, a linebacker, a running back, and a cornerback.  With my final 4 picks, I get another offensive lineman, another linebacker, and a tight end.  There, I just fixed the Bears for the rest of the Jay Cutler era. 

I might get a Tim Tebow jersey with the Christmas money I get. 

Don’t bring up the White Sox this week, let’s talk about something else.  

No comments:

Post a Comment