Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Week 4/5 in Review - How Did We Do?

Every week at Mustache Sports, we take a look at the previous weekend to see how we did in giving you our prognostications. 

Before we start, I would like to send out a big congrats to Scott Yasko as he welcomed the newest member into the Mustache Sports family last night when his wife Leah gave birth to a baby girl, Monroe Penelope.  If you know Scott and Leah, then you know those two are going to make amazing parents, and Monroe is going to be a huge Blackhawks/White Sox/Bears/Bulls/Fighting Irish fan even if she does grow up in Atlanta. 

Week 5 – College Football Picks

See, we told you so

Scott went 4-2 this week while I struggled to a 3-3 mark.  We both agreed, and picked correctly, Clemson and West Virginia.

Let’s talk about Clemson for a second.  Historically, you could count on Clemson, in the Dabo Swinney era, for a top 15 recruiting class and an unranked finish.  As a Florida State fan, the Tigers have really never been good enough to “hate,” but this year, things have changed.  Freshman receiver Sammy Watkins has helped spark a ton of the hype with his huge start (32 catches for 471 yards and 6 TD’s) and the guy throwing him the ball, Tajh Boyd, hasn’t been too bad either (1,459 yards with 14 TD’s  and only 3 picks).  Clemson’s defense may be another story, but the Tigers appear to be the team to beat in the Atlantic Division.  But don’t sleep on Georgia Tech and Wake Forest, these teams have the talent to beat Clemson and put a scare in the folks from Death Valley. 

Ok, so we are idiots

Heading into Saturday’s matchup, Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III had thrown for more TD’s (13) than incomplete passes (12).  Not that his performance against the Wildcats was subpar (346 yards, 5 TD, 1INT), but his first pick of the season led to Kansas State’s winning field goal.  I would hardly take Griffin III out of the Heisman discussion because of the pick, but it is going to cost him when voters determine the award in December.  Colin Klein made the Baylor defense look terrible as he passed for 146 yards and ran for 113 more.  Scott and I obviously overvalued the 3.5 points Baylor was giving and messed up this one.  Seriously, we are sorry.   

Scott Yasko – 4-2 (10-6)
Sef Sam Holy – 3-3 (9-7)

Week 4 – NFL Picks

See, we told you so

Because of the one year anniversary celebration I had with my wife in the Wisconsin Dells this past weekend, I wasn’t able to provide the analysis you have grown to love.  However, Burt Kolson and I did give you are picks against the spread so I’m hoping you took the picks with the no advice and cleaned up.  We both agreed, and picked correctly, the Lions +1, Saints -7.5, Texans -4, Chargers -7, and Packers -13. 

“The Texans are a team that has done this strong start thing before.  BUT, I think it’s safe to say, that this is the first year in their team’s history, they have looked like a team that will make the playoffs.”  Yep, that’s what I was thinking as I took a look at the Texans Steelers box score on my drive back from the Dells Sunday only to find out Andre Johnson was injured without being touched.  Reports out of Houston claim that it’s only a hamstring injury, but I think we all know it’s a little more serious than that.  Gary Kubiak admitted to ESPN’s John Clayton today that AJ will most likely miss the next 3 weeks.  I’m not a doctor, or even an ESPN doctor like Stephania Bell, but missing 3 weeks with a hamstring injury that was caused by “running” isn’t news I want to hear (especially since I own Andre Johnson in one of my fantasy leagues).  With their best player hurt, and that stigma of being a bad second half team on their backs, it’s imperative that the Texans win at least 2 of their next 3 games.  Even with Johnson, it was going to be questionable about Houston getting 2 wins against the Raiders, Ravens, and Titans (who have surprisingly started off 3-1 and actually look really good as well).  Now that he’s down, I’m going to go make a bold prediction and say the Texans limp into week 8 with a 4-3 mark.  The question now becomes, “are the Titans for real?”  Well, I’m sorry, I don’t know everything and don’t have an answer to that random question. 

If I was coaching for my job, and Gary Kubiak is, I would sit Andre Johnson and Arian Foster down for the next 3 weeks, let them get healthy, and go into my final 9 games with my studs feeling good about their hamstrings and try and get to 10 wins.  But hey, I sell technology and write a sports blog for fun so I don’t make those decisions. 

Ok, so we are idiots.

Burt and I swung and missed on the Vikings -2 and Bills -3.

Another fun team to watch that everyone is pulling for, the Buffalo Bills, suffered their first defeat this season at Cincinnati.  Ryan Fitzpatrick (199 yards 0 TD) killed all fantasy owners who started him over Tony Romo, Josh Freeman, and Cam Newton and the Bills blew a 17-3 halftime lead.  This is the type of game that Bills fans will look back on when they head into New England week 17 with a 9-6 record needing a win and a Jets loss to make the playoffs, and cringe.  Look, it’s been a really cute story this year with the Bills and Lions, but BOTH of these teams aren’t going to make the playoffs, only one will.  If you have money to bet, you can put it on Detroit.  I don’t want to seem like a meanie, but the next 5 weeks will tell everyone what type of team the Bills are this year and that is a 9-7 team that plays high-scoring games and are fun to watch.  But, they don’t make the playoffs in the AFC this season even with Pittsburgh’s spot up for grabs. 

One last Bills note, even with all the Clemson love this season, CJ Spiller continues to suck.  He’s only carried the ball 13 times in 4 games, so if you drafted a Buffalo RB this year, I hope it was Fred Jackson.

Bert Kolson 8-4 (24-18-2)
C-Murder 0-0 (18-12-1)
Monster 6-6 (18-25-1)
Sef Sam Holy 9-3 (33-25-2)

No comments:

Post a Comment