Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Week in Review - How Did We Do?

Every week at Mustache Sports, we take a look at the previous weekend to see how we did in giving you our prognostication.

Week 4 – College Football Picks

See, we told you so

Scott and I were each 4-2 this weekend against the spread.  We both agree, and correctly picked, Bama, LSU, and Oklahoma State. 

In my opinion, LSU should be ranked number one right now.  Led by Tyrann Mathieu, the best defensive playmaker in the country (and by far the guy I would least want to fight in all of college sports), the LSU defense is fast and relentless.  Through 4 games, the Tigers have only given up 213 yards rushing and they’ve had to go against guys like LaMichael James, Darron Thomas, Chris Relf, and Vick Ballard.  Their offensive domination is done in a way that most people won’t find sexy; not turning the ball over (only 3 in 4 games) and punting on 4th down.  Jarrett Lee has only thrown 1 pick in 87 drop backs and is doing everything Les Miles has asked him.  The Tigers still have games to play against Florida, at Tennessee, Auburn, at Alabama, Arkansas, and possibly South Carolina, or Florida again, so I don’t think they run the table.  But I’m starting to see why a one loss SEC team deserves to be in the National Championship Game more than an undefeated Boise State, Pac-12, or ACC team.    

Please don’t hear me say Alabama sucks because I think they are ridiculously good.  And I’m not saying Bama doesn’t have a chance when they play LSU in a month, they absolutely do and will probably be favored in that game.  I just believe, after watching LSU three times and Alabama twice, LSU is better. 

It’s like me saying Jordan is better than Kobe.  I’m not saying Kobe sucks, I’m just saying, the best player of all time, is better than him. 

I hope both squads get past Florida these next two weeks and we go into November 5th with all eyes on what happens in Tuscaloosa.  The winner that night, most likely, punches their ticket to New Orleans and the BCS National Championship Game.     

Ok, so we are idiots

Florida State has killed both of us these past two weeks.  I don’t really want to talk about another FSU loss at Clemson, especially when FSU is clearly a more talented team, so I won’t.  It’s my blog, if you want to read about Clemson football, go somewhere else. 

Scott Yasko – 4-2 (6-4)
Sef Sam Holy – 4-2 (6-4)

Week 3 – NFL Picks

See, we told you so

Monster and I were both right about the Vikings +4 and Ravens -4 and that’s it.  It’s worth it to note that we only agreed on 6 games all together. 

I said before this season began that the Vikings are a 5 win team.  They have started 0-3 and I’m starting to think I’m actually wrong about them.  I watched the Lions Vikings on Sunday and Minnesota should have won that game.  I know Vikings fans will say that about the Bucs (didn’t see the game so I won’t give an opinion) and Chargers (I did watch that and never thought, even when the Vikings were up 10 at halftime, the Vikings were going to win), but last Sunday, it was absolutely the case.  If AP gets the rock 10 times in the second half, including the 4th and 1 play, Detroit doesn’t have enough time to ever catch up. 

Now, as a Bears fan, am I going to sit around and feel sorry for Vikings fans?  No, I’m enjoying this second half collapse thing they have going on.  My point is, the Vikings are better than 0-3, and I think, better than 5-11.  I can find at least 6 wins on their schedule (at KC, Arizona, at Carolina, Denver, at Washington, and Chicago) and I’d be willing to bet someone $20 that they win one of the following games; Green Bay, at Green Bay, Oakland, at Detroit, New Orleans, at Chicago.  Now, if they do all that, they finish 7-9, good for 3rd in the NFC North. 

Ok, so we are idiots

Monster are I both incorrectly picked the Eagles -7.5, Falcons +1, Cardinals -3.5, and Steelers -11.    Vegas, once again, shows up Mustache Sports. 

I really hate NFL Power Rankings.  There are dumb for a variety of reasons, but my biggest beef with them is the inaccuracy they spew and the way Power Rankers mercilessly defend their points even after they are wrong.  If I’m ever wrong about something, I’ll admit it and do so right away.  I mean, everything we talk about on this site is in one way or another related to giving you our predictions and then letting you know how those predictions went.  Nothing makes someone look more like a jerk than when they won’t admit when they are wrong. 

The Steelers are one of those teams that Power Rankers will have in their top 10 even though they have looked really horrible through two weeks.  And do you know why they will have them in their top 10?  Because they are the Steelers and they ranked them in their top 10 before the season started.  That’s it.  That’s all that team has going for them through three weeks.  Their offensive line is horrible, their defense is old and not as deep as it normally is, Rashard Mendenhall can’t find a hole to run through, and Big Ben looks Eli Manningish. 

So let’s be bold and do what we did with the Vikings, only this time, I’m going to assume the Steelers do, what most teams that lose the Super Bowl do, suck the next year.  I see 9-7 for this team, missing the playoffs, and finishing outside of Peter King’s Fine Fifteen.  They have 3 really obvious losses on their schedule (at Houston, New England, Baltimore) and I think they split with the Browns putting them at 5 losses.  Is it possible for a team that was a 4th quarter defensive touchdown away from losing to the Colts to lose 2 of the following games?  They play Tennessee, Jacksonville, at Arizona, at Cincinnati, at Kansas City, Cincinnati, at 49ers, and Rams.  Yes, and I say those loses come to the Titans and 49ers with maybe losses at Cincy and at Arizona.

What the hell is a maybe loss?  Don’t be a jerk, I meant they are losable games.  Like, the Bears playing the Panthers this week is a losable game.  It’s a game they should win, but if they lost, it wouldn’t surprise me.  That’s what a maybe loss is ya nerd. 

C-Murder – 10-5 (18-12-1)
Sef Sam Holy – 8-8 (24-22-2)
Monster – 6-10 (12-19-1)
Bert Kolson – 0-0 (16-14-2)

No comments:

Post a Comment